Thursday 2 April 2009

Finally got D(e)V D

It's a film that I eagerly waited for and was disappointed when it was not released in any theatre near my house. I am an Abhay Deol fan and the whole idea of doing Devdas in today's scenario was an appealing concept and enough a reason to wait for a good online DVD print for downloading.

Dev D got very good reviews from the critics and I would like to agree with what most people have written about it. It does deserve a 5 star for the script, details and acting. Director Anurag Kashyap has done a brilliant job in carving out a striking story set in today's Punjab and Delhi. The whole definition of love seems to have changed and emotions have been replaced by needs. It’s a straight forward story and I admire the director's guts to do another film on Devdas after Sanjay Leela Bansali's attempt, which is still quite fresh in our memory.

There is no comparison between the 'dress drama' Devdas and Dev D. The only comparison I would like to draw is between SRK and Abhay Deol's acting. Abhay Deol was superb and I wonder what SRK could do minus the dress drama, huge sets and unrealistic world of emotions.

Mahi Gill (Paro) and Kalki Koechlin (Chanda) were very well suited in their respective roles. The music is enjoyable, however the film feels like a musical in patches. Emosanal Atyachaar and Duniya Gol were my favourite songs. My only complaint is with the use of MMS case for sensationalising the film as it must have made the lives of those involved even worst all over again.

On the whole Dev D was a very different cinematic experience and I enjoyed the no-nonsense approach of the film.

V!

3 comments:

Tarsheen said...

will watch it after all..:)

Unknown said...

The film was different but it was not too gr8...they could not show even one thing properly in the movie.
No romance, no sex and no love:(

Azahar Machwe said...

That is what life is about!
No time for any of the three! ;)